- 2 medium beets, peeled and roasted (Trader Joe's)
- 1 1/4 c. unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/2 c. coconut oil
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp. cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Chop the beets roughly, combine with the desiccated coconut and puree until smooth. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease 8x8 square baking dish, line with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Break up the chocolate, place, along with the coconut oil, in a bowl over a pot of simmering water (water shouldn't touch bowl) and melt, stirring often. Remove from the heat and take the bowl off the pot. Set aside.
4. Combine the flour with the cacao powder, stir with a whisk and set aside.
5. Beat the eggs and sugar for 2 minutes. Stir in the beet mixture, then gradually pour in the melted chocolate (it will have cooled by then), stirring constantly with a spoon. Fold in the flour mixture (add in chocolate chips when almost all the flour has been mixed in). Stir only until the flour is no longer visible.
6. Pour the batter into the baking dish, smooth out the top and bake for 25-28minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool in the dish for 5 minutes, then lift out of the dish with paper and place on a cooling rack.
Makes 9 brownies.
Recipe by Dayna G.